Today’s Encouragement is a guest post from my friend, Adelle Lauchlan, who serves on staff at Uxbridge Baptist Church. Enjoy! – Jeff+
“By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life” (2 Peter 1:3a, NLT).
I don’t think it is a stretch to say that most people want to be useful, want to live a productive life, and that Christians want to live a life worthy of Christ’s call. So I find these words of Paul’s very reassuring.
But what are these things that we have been given that allow us to live a godly life?
Well, I think this is what they are:
- We have the love of Christ, a love so great that he willingly died that we would be saved – it is a love that drew us to him, and it remains with us always.
- We have the power of the Holy Spirit – we received it, as promised, when we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour.
- We have the gifts of the Spirit – those attributes that we share with other believers and which mark us as Christians.
- We have the Word of God – left to us so that we would know his will for us.
- We have the model of Christ and how he lived so that we would know how to live out God’s will.
- We have the company of each other to encourage us in our walk and to help us when we stray.
And we have all these things because God is glory and excellence, and in his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. We live under the new covenant, sealed on the cross. Grace, God’s love and forgiveness, freely given.
Truly, everything we need! A precious promise!
And what are we asked to do in return? Respond in faith. Respond with faith. Faith is the foundation of this great promise. It is everything we need!